8/09/2005

Ionized water for fish growth?

The other day while I was surfing television channels I came upon the TV channel RPN 9 and it was airing one those Japanese documentaries circa 2000 or so.

This particular documentary attracted my attention because it was featuring one those incredible public aquariums in Japan. In one of those aquariums they had not only had full grown sharks but whale sharks and Mola Molas. The whole building was a big aquarium.

Amazing as it seems this was not the bit of video that eventually won my attention. This was just the tip of the iceberg. What was interesting was to be found in the following documentary. It featured a an ordinary goldfish almost a 8 to 12 inches long, total length. More amazing was that it was stocked inside a 30 gallon tank with around 30 smaller gold fishes. Why did this fish attain this size? And why can it succesfully stay inside a small tank with a couple of smaller fishes with no sign of stress.

According to the documentary the water was treated with ionized oxygen. A Japanese company called Bio-mate claims the increases the metabolism of the fish and it keeps the water clean from disease all leading to a bigger fish.

The application, a ionized oxygen generator, is now used in commercial aquaculture of flatfish and the grow out vegetables in hydrophonic gardens.

Now to my mind ionized oxygen seems to be ozone. Ozone sterelizes water (I learneed while keeping marine tanks) but its also toxic when overdone. At least on one occassion I have seen what over ozonation does to a fish, and its not a pretty site. Thus I am at a quandry as to what this bio-mate apparatus. I did the cursory check on the Net found mostly anecdotal tales and more questions than answers.

A few years ago, the Chinese were selling a magnetic device that promoted the rapid growth of the fish.

This is probably more important from a aquacultural perspective, eliminating days of culture (DOC).

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your article is quite interesting, could you please send me the address of the company BIO-MATE in Japan. I really want to follow this up. Thanks

10:03 AM  
Blogger emeka said...

hi, i think i saw the same documentary and that got me interested in applying this technology when i do set-up my fishery...your article makes it sound like snake-oil. pls tell me if you've researched the company's claims further and your findings.

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i saw this documentary 3-4 years ago. i'm also doing some research on this ionized oxygen because I'm breeding fresh water fish such as telapia and hito.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my comment is for anonymous i am in the process of setting up a telapia farm as a small bussiness...i would like to know more about ur fish farming

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching information relating to this too. I saw the documentary as well. However I was looking for ionized water. I was pretty young when i saw the documentary. Did anyone find anything further? (imagine replying in 2017 to a 2005 post)

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home